Get involved and join the global effort for the International Coastal Cleanup 2021
Organise your own cleanup in your area any time in September or join ours.
What is the ICC?
For decades, volunteers with Ocean Conservancy’s International Coastal Cleanup have removed millions of kilograms of rubbish from our oceans, beaches and waterways every year in September. They not only pick up trash, they count every item as well. The resulting item-by-item, location-by-location Ocean Trash Index provides the only global snapshot of the ocean debris littering the world’s coasts and waterways. VESS has coordinated the ICC in Vanuatu for the last 5 years. In 2021 we are teaming up with the VCAN network and others to hopefully spread the effort to other places in Vanuatu.
How to join the VESS / VCAN cleanup
1) register with VESS by emailing: email@example.com
2) Choose either the Friday or Saturday event:
Meet on Ifiria Point beach, outside the boat yard at 9:30 am on Friday 17th September. Or meet at the Seafront, near the grandstand at 9:30 am on Saturday 18th September
3) Bring a clipboard, a pencil, reusable gloves and a smile
How to organise your own cleanup
1). Get a team together – the team can be any size from one to hundreds!
3) Collect the rubbish lying on the beach, street or on the ground close to the sea or waterways (rivers or drains).
4) Count the rubbish and add the information about what you collect to the data sheet or enter it into the Clean Swell app
5) Dispose of the rubbish you collected in the appropriate place
6) When you have finished collate the data from all the data sheets you used on to one fresh sheet and send it to VESS via email firstname.lastname@example.org or post to our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/vanuatuconservation. Don’t forget to fill in all the details about how many people were in your group, how long your cleanup was and where your cleanup are was. (If you are using the Clean Swell app you can miss out this last step as the information will have already been uploaded to the global database.)
This is what Paul Mooney has done for the Devil’s point road community
Location of clean: Devils Point Road White Sands Beach
Date of clean-up: Saturday 18th September
Start time: 10am
If you want to join Paul’s cleanup please contact – Paul Mooney, email@example.com – 5322002
Find out more about the at the Ocean Conservancy’s Trash Free Seas website
And for more info on the Clean Swell app see the poster below