VESS Project Officer for a threatened species Project
Industry: Environment and Conservation
Location: Port Vila, Vanuatu
Job Hours: Full Time. 3 month contract extendable to 18 months based on performance
Closing Date for applications: 21st September 2016
VESS is implementing a project, funded by the Critical Ecosystem Partnership Fund (CEPF), to increase awareness of 25 species threatened with extinction in Vanuatu. The project activities in Vanuatu include writing factsheets for these priority species and delivering workshops in two key biodiversity areas in Vanuatu (Tongoa and Aneityum). The Project Officer (Threatened Species Project) will provide administration, coordination, and logistical support to implement the Project.
The Project Officer will also coordinate and organize conservation themed events and talks in Port Vila and be responsible for increasing the participation of community members at these events.
This role will also involve some administration at the VESS office in Port Vila.
Duties and Responsibilities
- To work with the VESS CEO to implement the project.
- Prepare factsheets for 25 threatened species
- Prepare schedules, travel plans, bookings for teams and VESS personnel to CEO for approval
- Assist in the design and delivery of awareness workshop
- Organise meetings, events and talks
- Ensure adequate supplies e.g. stationery are ordered and available for efficient office management
- Minimum qualification of a year 13 high school certificate SPFSC however candidates with a Bachelor Degree in a natural science subject will have an advantage.
- A passion and enthusiasm for the environment and conservation.
- Driver’s licence
- Previous experience in project implementation desirable
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Computer literacy including email and Microsoft suite.
- Willingness to work with a team and develop new skills.
- Positive attitude
Salary: 300-400 VT per hour commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Language: English, Bislama, French is an advantage.
Terms of Reference available from email@example.com
How To Apply: Please address your cover letter (max 1 page) to Dr. Christina Shaw and send it together with your CV (max 2 pages) by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. There is no need to send academic record or references at this stage.